Yes businesses are creating a lot of content right now, but they are still not thinking smartly enough about how to connect individual pieces of content in a way that creates an immersive editorial experience for their audiences.
There isn’t enough focus on “the finishing touches,” such as high-end photography and cool sidebars that give the rich creative feel you expect from a top-end publisher.
Strive toward integrated content experiences for your readers. Present your work in intuitive ways that your audience readily understands. Too many standalone pieces of content are thrown into resource centers and expected to fend for themselves without surrounding context or teasers to prise them into life.
Here are five tips to ensure your content is as editorially engaging as possible:
- Ensure each piece of major collateral has a content promotion kit - comprised of copy teasers, social graphics, short videos, quotation material, etc - in place.
- Hold creative conversations during the content planning phase to determine what contextual information - such as sidebars, maps, videos, or summary boxes - you will include in the content.
- Don't let significant pieces of content go to publication without professional design treatment.
- Constantly break up old content into micro-sections for dissemination across social channels.
- Expect tight, top-end copy from your writers consistent with your brand guidelines. Get editors in place that know their stuff.